Friday, April 16, 2010

Best Birthday Ever!

Well, it is official. I have reached the age of 32. The 14th of April is my day. It is also the day President Lincoln was shot and the day Brigham Young was baptized and it is also the day before taxes are due. That has always been the story of my life. Growing up, my parents would buy me presents starting in January because they knew that they would have to use their money to pay their taxes in April, and I was none the wiser. They sacrificed a lot to make us all happy. It is a big family joke that I never got a "real" birthday because of tax day, and after 32 years, it still doesn't get old.


This year Greg and I had to pay a bunch o f taxes. I was shocked I tell ya. You mean when you finally grow up and graduate school and you make more than $14,000 and can't live off of student loans you have to pay taxes! Who'd a thunk!


Well Greg got the memo that for me, you have to buy presents well in advance, or you are just out of luck, and you have to resort to the homemade kind. Which, good news for him, I prefer.


Hallee and Kameron made me the most beautiful cards. They are so cute. Hallee's had our family drawn on the front, and on the back she wrote families can be together forever. Well, that didn't take long for the tears to come, and she rummaged around in her jewelry box, and found a ring for me.


Kameron gave me a new scripture bag. Greg said he shopped long and hard for it. He knew that my favorite color is pink, and he couldn't find a pink one for the size of scriptures they were going to buy. Kameron found one that had a pink liner in it, and a secret pocket on the bottom for treats. Never mind that it is turquoise with huge lime green polka dots on it, and I am going to look like I am 12, but I love it.


Greg, thinking he was so funny, gave me a new set of scriptures. Which I loved, but he recently went to an eye appt. with me and was down right shocked that I was driving his kids around with vision like I have. Even with glasses! The part he thought he was being funny about was that he bought me the humungo scriptures. You know, the kind you see all the old ladies have so they can see the print. Funny Greg, funny! Anyway, I love them too!


Greg did a good job, and my kids are just the best. Just like yours are as well. Do you know what the best part of my birthday was? Greg found someone to cover call at the hospital and drove me up to Sandy to meet my parents at Texas Roadhouse. He then drove me over to see my Grandma Fyans to spend time with her knowing full well that probably was the last time I would see her on this earth. He then drove us back down to the OC, and telling me the whole way back his version of how we met. His is a much better story. (He did all the hard work to get my number) Spending tender time with my family is the best birthday present ever.


This my Grandma Fyans. Isn't she beautiful. I thought I would share her with all of you because she is one great lady. She will soon be leaving us, so she can go spend her eternity with this guy

The love of her life!

2 comments:

Miriam Ika Marshall said...

can we add that it is my nephew parkers birthday? i think AMAZING poeple were born on this day!!!

Norris Fam said...

Happy Birthday (a few weeks late). And if it makes you feel better (which I'm sure it won't) we are on a "payment schedule" with the IRS for our taxes from last year. Seriously stinks! What a great surprise from your hubby...he just earned some serious bonus points!