Friday, June 19, 2009

Livin' in the OC (Utah?)

This is the view from our side yard into the back yard

It has been 3 months, and we have had a successful move to Oak City Utah. I like to call it the OC just to make it sound better than it really is. The town consists of 650 people, and we make 654. Greg did deliver a baby last week so that make 655, so the OC is on a growing trend. Living in the OC has its perks you know. You never have to lock your door. In fact, our landlord just put a lock on the door for us, I thought it was silly because that door hasn't been locked in 100 years, and Kameron has all the old ladies charmed into bringing him brownies and cookies. We have had free dessert for weeks now. Another great thing about this town is everybody has the same last name, and I am not kidding. So it makes it nice when I can't remember somebodies name and all I have to do is say "Hello Brother/Sister Finlinson" and in more cases then not, I'm right.
I can look out of my front window and every person I can see on my street has either lived in our house or has had a relative that has lived in our house. So it has made it a little tough to make the changes that we have needed to make because then we get, "Hey my great grandma planted that bush you just pulled out." OOPS! True story!
Kam and Hallee love to play in the water ditch in front of our house. It is only about a foot deep so it is a nice cool place to play when it is hot.
That Hallee, she has so many boys after her, it makes me laugh. She comes home and tells me all about the boys who love her, and I just smile. The thing that she doesn't know is, of course they are all going to "love" her, she isn't some sort of cousin to any of them. At least she is guaranteed to go to every school dance, unless they like dating cousins here. You never know.
The town isn't much, we don't even have a store here, but it safe and friendly, and I think we can make it work here.

This is a picture of our backyard. I love this picture because you can see into our neighbors backyard too, and as you can see, backyards here are also old parking lots. I don't even know who owns the truck in our backyard, but a guy from my ward just wandered back there and took a tire from it.


Kameron totally digs the country life. We have been to the IFA to purchase a special cowboy hat. These boots are a gift from Greg when he finished his six months in Texas. As you can see, Kam keeps his boots stocked with chocolate mints at all times, because you never know when a cowboy is going to get hungry.

Living in a small town gives plenty of opportunity to go the the milk dairy up the street and feed all the baby cows. But boy, we have learned to wear a good pair of rain boots. Something that you can just spray off.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Sounds like you guys are having fun down there. I am happy for you.

Lance and Christa said...

I love the pictures. It sounds like your kids are having a great time in the country. Greg delivering a baby that should be a good story.

Norris Fam said...

I love reading your blog! It makes me laugh and laugh and wish I could just walk across the ghetto parking lot to visit you.

Part of what makes it so entertaining to me is...that I moved to the EXACT OPPOSITE of where you moved. I moved to the right on top of your neighbors, don't go out after dark, people stealing tires off cars for different reasons. But hey, look on the bright side, you can't really pull up a bush that someone's great-grandma planted because there is hardly any vegetation of any kind.

I can't wait to come visit, it sound like such fun (really). My girls would love feeding those cows!

Miss you!

Leslie said...

I love how you have given the name OC to your cute little town. I laughed about your cute daughter having all the boys after her! i should lived in a town where everyone was related so I could of been that girl!